Fire Safety Tip of the Month

 

 

MonitorCarbon monoxide (CO) is a gas. It has no odor. CO gas is poisonous.
It can make a person feel sick and can be deadly. In the home, heating and cooking devices that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.


Carbon Monoxide Safety


FACT!
CO is called the invisible killer because the gas cannot been
seen or smelled. Take action to stay safe from CO poisoning.


CO ALARMS
CO alarms should be installed outside each sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the
home. It is best to use interconnected alarms. When one sounds, all CO alarms in the home
sound.

  • Follow the instructions on the package to properly install the CO alarm.
  •  Test CO alarms at least once a month.
  •  Replace CO alarms according to the instructions on the package.
  •  Know the sounds the CO alarm makes. It will sound if CO is detected. It will make a differentsound if the battery is low or if it is time to get a new CO alarm.
  •  If the battery is low, replace it.
  •  If the CO alarm sounds, you must get fresh air. Move outdoors, by an open window or near anopen door. Make sure everyone in the home gets to fresh air. Call the fire department from afresh air location. Stay there until help arrives.PREVENT CO POISONING
  • When warming a vehicle, move it out of the garage. Do not run a fueled engine indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked. Clear snow away.
  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
  • Clear all debris from dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace vents.
  •  A generator should be used outdoors. Use in a well-ventilated location away from windows, doors, and vent openings.
  •  Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO. Only use them outside.
  •  Have heating equipment and chimneys inspected by aprofessional every year before cold weather sets in.
  • Open the damper when using a fireplace for adequate ventilation.
INQUIRIES?
contact station 1 at
(406) 626-5791
 

 

Home | About the FRFD | Staff | Stations | Board of Trustees | Community Services | VOLUNTEER

phone (406) 626-5791  •  fax (406) 626-6355
© 2010 Frenchtown Rural Fire Department. All rights reserved.